Sunday, June 27, 2010

Traditional French Madeleines

Even those these require a Madeleine tray, I thought I'd post the recipe because it's so delicious. You can purchase your own tray here for under $15, and it's worth it because these unique treats certainly do impress! They are best eaten the day they are made and I would recommend that you have all your ingredients organized and ready to use before you start baking because the recipe requires continuous beating.
Ingredients
2 eggs
3/4 tsp vanilla
generous pinch of salt
1/3 cup of caster sugar
1/2 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon of finely grated lemon rind
65g butter
icing sugar for dusting decoration

Method
Preheat your oven to 190 degrees (fan-forced). Melt butter and cool to room temperature. In a bowl beat eggs, vanilla and salt at high speed until light. Beating constantly, gradually add sugar; continue beating at high speed until mixture is thick and pale and ribbons form in the bowl when beaters are lifted (eg. 5 minutes). Sift flour into egg mixture 1/3 at a time, gently golding after each addition. Add lemon rind and pour melted butter around edge of batter. Quickly but gently fold butter into batter. Spoon batter into prepared tray; batter will mound slightly above the tops. Bake for 14 to 17 minutes or until golden. These cook quickly so keep a close eye on them. Use a knife to loosen from the tray, but let cool for around 10 minutes beforehand. Sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy.

7 comments:

  1. Thanx for sharing this lovely recipe, they look gorgeous! just perfect to go with a cup of earl grey tea. I guess the beauty is that most ingredients would be staple in most kitchens and I have a lemon tree in my back-yard - so easy peasy.
    Dianne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so lovely! And it's so easy to eat these delicious, buttery, eggy treats on the day they are made-I always seem to finish them then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! They are perfect with a nice cuppa! And Lorraine, I'm glad I'm not the only one that finishes things the day I make them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!!! Those look soooooooooooo good. I bet they aren't on my diet. HATE THAT WORD! Have a great week. Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! Madeleines are by far my most favorite cookie EVER!!! I even have a pan but haven't made them in almost 10 yars. Now I'm going to have to! Thanks!!!

    www.makignmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have yet to make Madalenas. Love them! Whenever I am at William Sonoma they are out of the nonstick Madalena pan. But one day I will be lucky.
    Yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fine way of describing, and pleasant post to take information regarding my presentation
    focus, which i am going to convey in university.

    Also visit my blog post :: best diet plan

    ReplyDelete

More recipes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...